Monday, January 16, 2012

In short, My Process

So after picking out an amazing song to post about today, I'd though I'd like to tell you a little bit about my relationship with 6/8 outside of this bog.

So here, go ahead and listen to the song I have picked out, Her Morning Elegance by Oren Lavie.


By the way this is such an amazing music video.

I'd have to pinpoint my relationship with 6/8 when I first saw my sister and brother in law dance at their wedding reception. It can be found here

Later, as my friendship with the most darling Robyn grew, we decided that both of us would like to learn to waltz. So one evening we taught each other how to waltz in her home, listening to some amazing 3/4 and 6/8 music. We got as far as teaching our selves the 6 point turn, and enjoyed it so much. 

Alas, I could find no photo of me and Robyn, but here is myself with Ashley! 

After I moved to Utah, I suddenly discovered that ever one in my school already knew how to waltz. Feeling incredibly behind, I decided to join my school's swing dance club. It is tons of fun, even if I'm not terribly good at it. Well after I began writing for this blog, I suddenly became entranced by all music in 6/8. Because of this, I decided through the power of youtube instructional videos that I was going to teach myself the Viennese waltz. And eventually I did! With the help of my good friend Andrea, we became masters of that dance. 
Swing Club! (And I'm even in the background of this photo!) 
And I've been in love with 6/8 ever since! Even today, at swing club we played my play list of 6/8 songs so that I could help instruct people in the Viennese waltz. 

Ta ta you beautiful people!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! And you are a very good dancer by the way. I am privileged to be one of those many that you helped teach the Viennese waltz to. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete