Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Christmas time signature spotlight

Oh friends.  This holiday season really has me going! I can't get enough of all of the Christmas music and colorful lights (have I mentioned how much I love COLOR?!) and I'm excited to finally get working on Christmas presents! 

As I mentioned last week, lots of Christmas music is in the wonderful time signature of 6/8--but today I'm featuring a song with a slightly different rhythm to it ;)  My song this week is "Christmas in July" by Sufjan Stevens, and has the happy characteristic of being written in 5/4 and 9/8! The verses are in 5/4, an awesome time signature that always seems to throw my 4/4 brain for a loop, and the chorus is in 9/8, which always feels a bit like 6/8, except somewhat bouncier.  

Take a listen! 


My point in posting this song this week is mostly to point out this:  there are SO many other awesome time signatures than just 4/4!  We here at the 6/8 society are obviously quite partial to the awesomeness of 6/8, but  I definitely love it when a songwriter takes the time to write a song in a less-used time signature.  It seems to me to show a little more thought and creativity, and it sure becomes more interesting to listen to! So get out there, find some songs that are in unusual time signatures, and LOVE them!


No comments:

Post a Comment